THE CHURCH THROUGH THE AGES
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Daniel 7:13-14- His kingdom is everlasting.
2. 1 Thessalonians 2:9-12- God has called Christians into His kingdom and glory.
II. MAIN THEME: God planned to reveal His glory through the church, which is the body of Christ.
The message of salvation is to be preached by the church. Wherever the gospel is preached, and
people obey the gospel, the church is established. Those who are in the church are in the everlasting
kingdom of God.
1. God's kingdom in prophecy.
a. To be everlasting, Dan 7:13-14; Mat 16:18.
b. To begin in the days of the Roman Kings, Dan 2:44; 8:23-27; 9:24-26.
c. All nations to flow into it, Isaiah 2:2
2. The church is in the kingdom of God announced by Jesus and His disciples.
a. Jesus has called Christians into His kingdom, 1 Thes 2:9-12; Col 1:13.
b. Christ the King reigns over the church, Eph 1:18-23; Col 1:15-18.
c. Those who are born again may enter the kingdom, John 3:3-5; 1 Cor 12:13.
d. John was in the kingdom when he wrote Revelations, Revelations 1:9.
3. The Church is built upon Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
a. Jesus is the Son of God, Luke 1:31-33; 3:21-22; Mat 16:18.
b. He proved it by His resurrection, Rom 1:4; Psalms 2.
4. We are called by the gospel to be one family.
a. A people for God's possession, Eph 2:17-22; 1 Pet 2:9-10.
b. Called and saved by our response to the gospel, 1 Cor 15:1-4; Rom 1:16.
c. No barriers between God's people, Eph 2:13-12; 1 Pet 1:22; Eph 4:1-3.
5. God's kingdom is eternal.
a. It cannot be shaken, Heb 12:28; Mat 16:18.
b. Those who are faithful will inherit its eternal blessings, 2 Timothy 4:6-8;
Rev 2:7,11,17,25-28; 3:5, 11-12, 20-22.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We need to fulfill our purpose in the church-
a. To be holy, 1 Cor 6:19-20; 1 Pet 1:15.
b. To be zealous of good works, Titus 2:14; 3:14; Phil 2:12-16.
c. To glorify God, Eph 3:9-10, 20-21; 1 Pet 2:9-10.
d. To love each other, Eph 4:11-16; Phil 2:1-4; Col 3:12-16.
2. Everyone is in one of two kingdoms; either the kingdom of this world which
belongs to Satan, or the kingdom of God which belongs to Jesus Christ.
Col 1:13; Rev 20:11-15.
3. Our lives will give evidence to which kingdom we belong, Luke 9:23-26;
1 John 2:1517.
4. The church is chosen by God to reveal His wisdom in the world, so we should
expect God to work through the church. As members of the body of Christ, we
should glorify God in our lives, Eph 3:10, 21; 1 Cor 12; Rom 12.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- I PETER 2:9-10.