I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Genesis 6:1-7- God decided to destroy wicked mankind.
2. Genesis 6:8-9- Noah found favor with God.
3. Genesis 6:13-22- God commanded Noah to build the ark.
4. 1 Peter 3:18-22- We must obey the commands of God.
II. MAIN THEME:
Man had become so wicked that his thoughts were evil continually. God was sorry because His creation had been corrupted, and decided to destroy all flesh having the breath of life. But Noah found favor with God, and was saved in the flood by God's plan and protection. And so the flood demonstrated God's power to destroy the wicked and to protect those He preserves by His grace.
1. God decided to destroy the world with water.
a. Because of the great wickedness of mankind, Gen 6:5-7, 11-13.
b. To cleanse the earth and give righteousness a fresh start, Gen 6:17-18.
2. Noah found favor with God.
a. Because he walked with God, Gen 6:8-9.
b. Because he honored God with obedience, Gen 6:22.
3. God commanded Noah to build the ark.
a. God gave the plans, Gen 6:14-16.
b. Noah followed God's plan, Gen 6:22.
4. God saved Noah.
a. God closed them in the ark, Gen 7:16.
b. God made the flood which cleansed the world, Gen 7:11-12;17-24.
c. God brought them out of the ark, Gen 8:1-19.
5. God made a covenant with Noah.
a. God promised not to curse the earth again, while it remains,
Gen 8:21-22; 2 Pet 3:5-13.
b. God commanded Noah to multiply, and replenish the earth,
c. The rainbow was given as a sign of the covenant, Gen 9:8-17.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We need to be careful like Noah to follow God's plan for our lives,
John 3:16; Heb 5:9; Rom 6:17; Rom 8:28-39.
2. We need to understand that the power in baptism comes from submission
to God, and there is no merit in being dipped in water without faith in
Jesus Christ, 1 Pet 3:18-22; 1 Cor 15:1-4; Col 2:11-13.
3. We need to remember that the things of this world will be destroyed with fire,
2 Pet 3:8-14; 2 Cor 5:16-18.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- 1 PETER 3:18-22