I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 2:6-7 - Emptying self is the first step in living a life worthy of the Gospel.
2. Philippians 2:6-11 - Jesus' life and death defines what it means to empty yourself:
a. He didn't let his special relationship with God keep Him from people - 2:6-7.
b. He gave up his status/high position and became human - 2:7.
c. He gave up his equality with people, becoming a servant - 2:7.
d. He gave up his equality with servants, dying for mankind - 2:8.
3. Philippians 2:9-11 - Each time he emptied himself, God filled or lifted him:
a. At birth - Matthew 1:18,20-21.
b. At the beginning of his ministry - Luke 3:21-22, 4:1-2.
c. During his ministry - John 3:34-35.
d. During his trials - Matthew 4:11; Luke 22:42-43.
e. Even after death! - Philippians 2:9-11.
II. MAIN THEME - Emptying self is something anyone can do, in Christ.
1. Peter, a lower class, uneducated fisherman emptied himself by:
a. Leaving his job and becoming a disciple - Mark 1:16-17.
b. Obeying the "foolish" fishing commands of a carpenter (despite being a
professional fisherman) - Luke 5:3-6.
c. Recognizing and speaking out loud his own inability and sin - Luke 5:5, 8.
d. Teaching what he could do was through Jesus, not his own ability or power -
2. Paul, an upper class, highly educated Jew emptied himself by:
a. Giving up equality with his fellow Jewish leaders - Philippians 3:4-7.
b. Giving up the right to all physical things - Philippians 3:8.
c. Giving up his personal rights - 1 Corinthians 8-9.
d. Considering himself dead - Galatians 2:20.
1. Obey Jesus and others call to empty yourself - Luke 9:23-24; Philippians 2:5-7.
2. Don't let your relationship with God separate you from the people God wants to
reach- 1 Corinthians 5:9-10.
3. Recognize you are what you are by the grace of God, so work hard for people -
1 Corinthians 15:9-10.
4. Be and do what others need you to be and do - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.
5. Remember, as you empty yourself, God will fill and raise you up -
Philippians 1:6, 2:13, 3:20-21, 4:13.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Philippians 2:7