"TEACHING THEM TO OBSERVE ALL THINGS"
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matthew 28:20 - The apostles are to teach baptized disciples the words of Jesus.
2. Acts 2:42-47 - The disciples continued steadfastly in the apostles teaching.
3. Acts 4:20,33 - The disciples preached Jesus Christ.
4. Acts 20:7, Hebrews 10:23-25 - The disciples met together on the first day.
5. 2 Corinthians 8:1-6 - The disciples gave sacrificially to help those in need.
II. MAIN THEME - Jesus instructed His apostles to teach the baptized disciples all things He had commanded His apostles. He sent the Holy Spirit to remind the apostles of the things that He had taught, so that the teaching of the apostles is the teaching of Jesus Christ.
1. Because of the teaching of the apostles, the disciples did these things:
a. They continued steadfastly in the apostles teaching, Acts 2:42.
b. They faced persecution, Acts 8:1-4, 12:1-4, 2 Timothy 3:10-12.
c. They preached Jesus Christ, Acts 4:20,33, 1 Corinthians 2:2.
d. They did good works, Acts 2:44-47, 4:32-37, Titus 2:14.
2. The church worked together because of the teaching of the apostles.
a. They appointed servants in the church, Acts 6:1-7.
b. They established leadership in the congregations, Acts 14:21-23,
1 Timothy 3:1-15, Titus 1:5-9.
c. They sent out preachers, Acts 13:1-5.
d. They met together on the first day, Acts 20:7, Hebrews 10:23-25.
e. They observed the Lord's supper, 1 Corinthians 11:17-30.
f. They prayed and praised God together, Acts 2:42,47, Ephesians 5:18-21.
3. The church shared with other Christians because of the apostles teaching.
a. They shared their possessions with those in need, Acts 4:32-37,
2 Corinthians 8:1-15, 1 Timothy 6:17-19.
b. They gave as they were prospered, 2 Corinthians 9:6-8.
c. They gave on the first day of the week when they came together,
1 Corinthians 16:1-2.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. The followers of Jesus Christ obeyed the teaching of the apostles because they
believed the teaching came from God by the power of the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:42,
4:29-31, 2 Peter 1:15-21.
2. We follow Christ today because of faith in Jesus and His words taught by His
apostles; our success as Christians does not depend on our ability, but rather
on our willingness to submit to Jesus in our lives, 2 Corinthians 3:4-11,
Romans 8:1-4, Galatians 2:16-21, Ephesians 2:4-10, Titus 3:4-11.
3. Love of God and His family is the basis for our obedience, Romans 13:8-14.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - MATTHEW 28:20