A PURE HEART
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 1 Timothy 4:12-16- The evangelist should be an example in purity.
2. 1 Timothy 1:5- God wants us to have a pure heart and a good conscience.
3. Titus 1:10-16- Our attitudes will show the condition of our heart.
II. MAIN THEME- Christians must have a pure heart in order to have a good conscience and work effectively for God. Jesus sees our heart, and our attitudes will make the condition of our heart known to others. Therefore we can serve effectively when we serve sincerely, from genuine faith.
1. Purity of heart comes from a true conversion by the gospel.
a. The doctrine, the gospel, produces sincere faith, 1 Tim 1:5, 11-19.
b. The righteousness of faith must be pursued, 2 Tim 2:21-22; 1 Pet 1:22-25.
c. We must work with a good conscience, 1 Tim 1:5, 18-19; 3:9.
2. Purity of heart comes from a genuine faith.
a. That results from spending time in God's word, 1 Tim 4:12-16.
b. That recognizes God as the source of strength, Mat 5:8; Ps 23.
c. That understands nothing is hidden from God, Heb 4:12-16; Mat 23:23-28.
d. That produces pure thoughts, Phil 4:6-9; Titus 1:8, 15; 1 Tim 4:15.
3. Efforts to become pure by our ability to keep laws are destructive.
a. This shows a lack of understanding, 1 Tim 1:3-11; Gal 5:1-15.
b. Efforts to keep physical laws have no power to make one righteous,
Col 2:18-23; Eph 2:8-9; Rom 3:21-26.
4. Those who truly have faith in Jesus will pursue His will.
a. They will be ready for every good work, 2 Tim 2:19-21; 1 Pet 2:11-12.
b. They will meditate on His word, 1 Tim 4:11-16.
c. They will have pure motives, desires, and thoughts, Titus 1:15.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. You cannot fool God. He knows our hearts, so we must walk honestly with Him.
1 Tim 5:24-25; Heb 4:12-16; 2 Cor 5:9-10.
2. Love of God and the honest desire to please Him must be our motivation in life.
2 Cor 5:9-10; 1 Cor 13; John 14:15-23; Rom 13:8-10; 2 Pet 1:3-11.
3. Purity of heart results from an honest relationship with God that continually
trusts His cleansing power. 1 Pet 1:3-5, 22; James 5:16-20; 1 John 1:8-9.
4. Trying to make ourselves righteous by binding laws concerning physical
observances will not work because these things work against the
righteousness which is by faith in Jesus Christ. Titus 1:10-15; 1 Tim 1:3-11;
Rom 3:21-26; 2 Cor 3:5-6.
5. We need to be genuine in our faith. 2 Cor 2:14-17; Rom 14:16-21;
1 John 2:15-17.
IV. MEMORY VERSE- 1 TIMOTHY 1:5.