THE RIGHT SPIRIT
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 2 Timothy 1:7- The right spirit is from God, not self.
2. 2 Timothy 1:12- The right spirit trusts in God's power.
3. 2 Timothy 2:24-26- The right spirit is gentle.
4. 1 Timothy 6:11-14- The right spirit is to be actively pursued.
II. MAIN THEME- God gives His children the spirit of power and love and of a sound mind. While Timothy had received the power of the Spirit by the hands of Paul, we receive the attitudes of the Spirit when we apply what God has taught us and pursue His will in our lives. We must actively pursue the right spirit with study, prayer, meditation, and by putting into practice the Christ-like attitudes we are taught by Jesus.
1. This God given spirit of power is:
a. In the gospel we speak, Rom 1:15-17; 1 Cor 15:1-4.
b. Based on God's power, not our own ability, 1 Cor 2:1-5; 2 Cor 1:8-10.
c. Should be prayed for, Eph 1:16-17; Phil 1:9-11.
d. Strengthened when we confess our weaknesses, 2 Cor 12:9-10;
James 5:16-18; I John 1:8-9.
e. Used with kindness, patience and gentleness, 2 Tim 2:24-26; Gal 6:1-3.
2. This God-given spirit of love is:
a. The goal of our instruction, 1 Tim 1:15; Rom 13:8-10.
b. To be pursued, 1 Tim 6:11; 2 Pet 1:3-11.
c. Our priority, 1 Cor 13:1-8.
d. Humble and service-centered, John 13:5-17, 34-35.
3. This God given spirit of discipline is:
a. A safe way of thinking and acting, Titus 1:8; 2:2-6, 12.
b. Focused on the Spirit's ability, Rom 8:5-7; Gal 3:1-3; 2 Cor 3:5-6.
c. Focused on Christ, Phil 2:5-8; Col 3:1-4.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Daily thank God for giving you a spirit of power, love and discipline.
Eph 1:16-17; Col 1:9-14.
2. Daily remember that God is the source of every good attitude we have, and allow His Spirit to shape our character and
life. Phil 3:7-10; Eph 1:3.
3. Daily work to keep the "old man" buried because he died with Christ. Rom 6:11; Eph 4:17-22; Gal 5:19-21; 2 Pet 3:11-14.
4. Do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord. 2 Tim 1:7-12; Rom 1:16.
5. Remember that God provides what is needed to do His work. 2 Cor 9:8-15.
6. Practice thinking about good things. Col 3:1-4; Phil 4:6-9.
MEMORY VERSE- 2 TIMOTHY 1:7.