I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 1 Timothy 1:3-11- Warn against turning aside from the gospel to legal disputes.
2. 2 Timothy 2:14-15- Do not strive about words to no profit.
3. Titus 1:14- Do not obey commandments of men who have turned from the truth.
4. 2 Timothy 3:14-17- God's word is profitable for teaching righteousness.
II. MAIN THEME- The law was given to demonstrate the power of sin and to be a guardian until Christ came and fulfilled the law. Law convicts all people of sins and proves we must be saved by God's grace through Jesus Christ the Savior. Since law condemns unrighteous persons, all of us sinners must be saved through an obedient faith in Jesus Christ.
1. The purpose of the law.
a. For the ungodly and lawless, 1 Tim 1:9; Rom 3:21-31.
b. It is our teacher, Gal 3:23-24; 1 Cor 10:1-12.
c. It brings us to Christ, Gal 3:21-22; Rom 8:1-4.
d. It shows the inability of man to save himself, Rom 7:7-13; Titus 3:5.
2. The law is an effective teacher.
a. Able to make one wise unto salvation through faith in Jesus Christ,
2 Tim 3:14-17; Mat 5:17-18; Acts 3:24.
b. It provides examples of faith and of disbelief, 1 Cor 10:1-13; Heb 3; 4; 11.
3. Christians have a higher calling than the law.
a. We are called to righteousness, to be like Christ, Titus 2:12-14;
Phil 3:8-21; 1:27; Eph 4:1-3; Rom 13:8-14; 1 John 1:1-7.
b. We have been set free of the law of sin and death, Rom 7:1-7; Rom 8:1-4;
Gal 5; Col 2:18-23.
c. The new covenant is a different kind of covenant, not a letter of the law
covenant, Jer 31:31; Rom 8:1-4; 2 Cor 3:5-6; Heb 10:4-22..
d. Our righteousness comes from our relationship to God in Jesus Christ,
John 3:3-8; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38-41, 47; Rom 6:15-18; Gal 3:26-27.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We should not fight about words of law and things that are of no profit,
1 Tim 1:8-9; Titus 3:8-9; Gal 2:11-21.
2. The result of the gospel message is love out of a pure heart and a good conscience,
1 Tim 1:5; Rom 13:8-10; 1 Cor 13.
3. The motive for doing good must be our love of God, not the fear of law,
1 John 3:22-24; 4:12-18; 2 Pet 1:2-8.
4. God demonstrated a Life that is the light in which we are to walk, a life to imitate,
John 1:18; 1 John 1:1-7; Eph 5:1-2.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- 1 TIMOTHY 1:8